Want sparkling jewelry without creating a crater-sized hole in your pocket? In that case, you should ditch traditional diamonds and go for moissanite jewelry. The resemblance between diamond and moissanite jewelry makes it extremely difficult for the untrained eye to differentiate between the two.
Moissanite rings, earrings and pendants are popular choice for nature lover’s and others because it is lab created in labs and it doesn’t mines. As we all know at some place diamond minings are illegal and in war zone and the income used in an invanding army’s War efforts and terrosim. And this the reason why blood diamond word comes from, so instead of using diamond, we can use moissanite for more affordable option and it will be your one step towards sustainable diamonds.
Continue reading to acquire more information about moissanite jewelry and why it’s becoming people’s favorite choice.
What Is Moissanite?
Instead of calling it a diamond substitute, moissanite should be considered a separate gemstone. It comes with unique attributes like bright radiance and high quality. Moissanite was discovered in the year 1893 by Henry Moissan at the site of a meteor crash.
He was examining the rocks from the meteor and found some crystals which he considered to be diamonds. But in 1904, it came to the limelight that rocks contained silicon carbide instead of carbon samples found in diamonds. That’s how moissanite originated and was named after the scientist who discovered it.
But naturally-occurring moissanite is extremely rare. It can only be found in meteor craters or in diamonds as inclusions. That’s why moissanite gems are synthetically produced in labs by simulating natural conditions and pressure.
Features of Moissanite
Before you buy moissanite jewelry, you should check out some of its features:
The best moissanite jewelry is highly durable, with a 9.25 hardness rating. Its score on the Mohs scale shows that it’s almost as hard as diamonds. That’s why moissanite is often used in jewelry items that people wear daily, like engagement rings.
Apart from being extremely hard, moissanite jewelry is also scratch-resistant. Therefore, you can wear a moissanite ring every day without it losing the sparkle or getting damaged.
The urge to buy moissanite jewelry largely stems from its affordability. Compared to traditional diamonds, moissanite jewelry is almost 90% less expensive. It enables customers to purchase a jewelry piece with an incredible shine without having to break the bank.
- Color and Clarity
Moissanite is naturally colorless, just like diamonds. But the refractive index of moissanite is higher than diamonds. Therefore, you will notice a moissanite ring shining brighter than a diamond one. Moissanite is often used in engagement rings because of its stunning appearance and affordable nature.
Diamonds are mined from conflict zones, and it creates an ill impact on the environment and local communities. But moissanite gemstones are produced in labs through a sustainable and ethical process. You can buy moissanite jewelry with a clean conscience that you are not causing any kind of harm to the environment.
How to Clean Your Moissanite Jewelry
Most people wear their moissanite jewelry every day. While they have incredible brilliance, wearing them every day can contribute to the accumulation of dirt and dust. You might need to clean your moissanite jewelry once every month. If you are wondering how to clean moissanite jewelry at home, you can use the following methods:
Use Soap and Water
- Take a small bowl and fill it with lukewarm water.
- Mix a few drops of soap with the water. Any soap with natural ingredients and a few chemicals would be a better option.
- Keep your moissanite jewelry in the bowl for some time, and let the water loosen up the bits of dirt and grime.
- Use a gentle cloth or toothbrush to scrub your jewelry. You can use a toothbrush for infants since they have softer bristles. Remember to pay extra attention to the hard-to-reach areas.
- Rinse your moissanite jewelry in normal water and let it dry completely.
Use Baking Soda and Vinegar
You can also clean real moissanite jewelry using baking soda and vinegar. Follow these steps:
- Take two spoons of baking soda in a small bowl.
- Add half a cup of vinegar to the bowl. Once the vinegar gets mixed with the baking soda, it will trigger a chemical reaction. As a result, the mixture will start bubbling.
- Use a fork to whisk the mixture to completely dissolve the baking soda.
- Soak your moissanite in the vinegar and baking soda mixture for around a couple of hours. Avoid scrubbing your jewelry while it’s dipped inside the mixture because the baking soda can ruin the setting.
- Use your cold water to rinse your moissanite jewelry.
- Keep it in a safe space so that it can dry completely.
Apart from enhancing the deliciousness of your food, ketchup can also clean your favorite moissanite jewelry. The acidity of tomatoes and vinegar can remove the dirt buildup. You should follow these steps:
- Add one or two tablespoons of tomato ketchup to a bowl.
- Soak your moissanite jewelry in the ketchup until they get completely covered.
- After that, scrub your moissanite jewelry with the help of a soft brush.
- Finally, rinse your jewelry using cold water and let it dry.
When Should You Remove Your Moissanite Jewelry?
Several people wonder whether they can wear their moissanite jewelry all the time. While moissanite jewelry is great for daily wear, you should remove them in the following situations:
- Swimming: When you are dipping in the pool, it’s better to remove your moissanite jewelry. The chlorine in the pool might harm your moissanite stones. You also need to keep your moissanite jewelry out of the ocean unless you want it to look like buried treasure.
- Strenuous Exercise: Flaunting your moissanite jewelry while doing light exercise is alright. But if you are in the mood for an intense workout session, avoid wearing your moissanite jewelry. It ensures that the sweat does not ruin your moissanite jewelry.
If you invest in real moissanite jewelry, it will be a great alternative to traditional diamonds. The sparkling brilliance of moissanite and its durability makes it a practical choice for various types of jewelry. Go through unique moissanite jewelry collections and make your pick now!